A leading equipment vendor who is delivering best-in-class optical devices to the global marketplace for "packet Ethernet network" was looking for a full fledged EMS. They had rudimentary nodal management software to configure and manage network elements which was deployed as a local craft terminal for local or remote element access. The nodal management software had several shortcomings such as being unable to
(i) manage a network with more than 1000 nodes,
(ii) view more than two performance metrics simultaneously,
(iii) support multiple southbound interfaces, and
(iv) persist data.
They approached Dhyan to build a complete management solution which is to be compliant with appropriate standards. To meet customer requirements, Dhyan developed a secure, flexible and robust end-to-end integrated management system based on the NetMan platform, as per the technical specifications mentioned in MEF 15 ("Requirements for management of metro Ethernet network elements") standard. The core management functionality covered in this specification is grouped into four functional categories: Configuration management, Fault management, Performance management, and Security management.
The following list describes the features supported in the management solution in each of the functional groups as per the specification:
- Fault management
- Detection, identification and correlation of the faults as and when it occurs and providing various management functions for addressing the faults to make service personnel's work easy.
- Northbound forwarding support to forward traps received from various network elements to NOC clients. Other than trap forwarding, email, pager and media forwarding are also supported.
- Alarm management feature which helps a user to view and acknowledge alarms, assign an owner and update remedy for the alarm, manual forwarding etc. are supported as well.
- Configuration management
- Software maintenance, periodic upgrades of software and making various provisioning activities seamless to the end-user.
- "Network element database backup feature" which enables a user to do scheduled backup periodically or instant backup when required.
- Performance management
- Real-time statistics collection and presentation of raw statistics in various graphical charts for an end user to easily understand the current network usage pattern and also be able to predict future usage patterns.
- "Statistic notification feature" which notifies the registered users about the status and statistics in the form of reports via mail or FTP depending on the data size.
- Security management
- Access control to the EMS application thereby offering protection; maintaining access logs and audit trails to answer questions such as who did what, when, how etc..,
- Provide users to view the network element user and group details; be able to add a single user to a particular element or a bulk addition to various network elements.